Sunday, September 14, 2014

Flying Cheap


The specific job that I would like to end up with is being an EMS Helicopter pilot for like University of Michigan Survival Flight after I get out of the military. According to http://www.med.umich.edu/survival_flight/transport/index.html they transport patients from accident scenes to hospital and other care facilities by helicopters, airplanes, and ambulances. University of Michigan Survival Flight leases 3 twin-engine Eurocopter EC-155B, two of the helicopters are on call 24 hours a day and the other is used for organ transportation. Also one of the helicopters is based at the Livingston County Airport 24 hours a day.

            The safety concerns of this job is flying in bad weather and trying to land at an accident with obstacles are just some of the safety/liability concerns with this job. How I would mitigate these concerns are to trust my training and my instruments as well as the crew that I am flying with. With the bad weather you just have to trust your instruments, training, and what you have learned from previous experiences. And for the obstacles at your landing zone, that you have to trust your crew and the ground personal to help guide you to a safe spot and if you can’t land safely at the accident site then I would have a few backup landing zones before I go out to the accident site.

            Professionalism is someone who has the skill or competence to do their job correctly and make very little mistakes or take unnecessary risks. The lack of professionalism in the documentary was demonstrated by management because they were promoting pilots to captain that had very little experience and hours that should not have been promoted yet. And the lack of professionalism on the pilots for taking a promotion, because it was more money and them not being fully aware of the consequences of them not being ready for the responsibility of captain seat. The two ways that I am would expand and maintain my professionalism is by continuously learning and trying to become a better pilot each time I go up and also if I do not feel comfortable with my skill in a certain situation then I would let someone take over who is more comfortable than I and try to help them as much as possible.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment